Ventilation Officer course - Underground coal mine
This course will help you prepare for the role of Ventilation Officer at an underground coal mine. It covers:
- managing, operating and maintaining the ventilation system
- understanding the impact of spontaneous combustion
- gas drainage and gas management
- outburst on the mine’s ventilation system.
This course has been developed based on recommendations highlighted in the ACARP Report C25001.
To request a course brochure and application form please contact us.
Who should attend
The role of a Ventilation Officer in an underground coal mine is a statutory position under the Coal Mining Safety and Health Act 1999 (Qld). Our course is designed to ensure you gain robust knowledge and skills to competently manage the tasks required in mine ventilation with the view to becoming a Ventilation Officer.
If you already have qualifications in mining engineering and/or extensive underground coal mining experience, this course may help build your capability to sit the Board of Examiners exams.
This course is delivered over a 15-month period.
Three workshops of 5 days each. Upcoming dates are:
- Workshop 1: 29 July 2019 to 2 August 2019
- Workshop 2: 7 October 2019 to 11 October 2019
- Workshop 3: 9 March 2020 to 13 March 2020
Upon successful completion of all assessments in the course structure, you will be issued with a Statement of Attainment from Simtars (RTO 1828).
Third-party provider details
When enrolling in this course, you will be studying under Dr Roy Moreby, of Morvent Mining. Dr Moreby is recognised globally and has been involved in mine ventilation and environmental engineering for 37 years.
Some or all of your training, assessment and/or support services are to be conducted by the following third party:
Dr Roy Moreby
Morvent Mining Ltd
Telephone: +44 (0) 1752 691151
The course consists of the following nationally accredited units of competency:
- RIIUND601D - Establish and maintain the ventilation management system
- RIIUND603D - Manage, operate and maintain the mine ventilation system
- RIIMCU601D - Establish and maintain the spontaneous combustion management plan
- RIIMCU602D - Establish and maintain the gas management system
- RIIMCU603D - Establish and maintain the gas drainage management plan
- RIIMCU604D - Establish and maintain the outburst management plan
These units are being delivered and assessed in a clustered arrangement and are not offered as standalone units. Studying the 6 units together will provide you with the broad range of skills and knowledge that industry stakeholders have told us is required by Ventilation Officers.