Simtars Safegas V4 Upgrade
During the month of June, the Simtars Safegas project was subject to a final independent assessment of readiness for deployment and operation of the upgraded Safegas system by aQueensland Government Chief Information Office validated panel provider.
This assessment found that the project was Green across all 6 Quality Dimensions. This is an outstanding result and highlights the competence, commitment and hard work of Simtars staff to deliver this industry needed upgrade to a safety critical system.
Safegas fast facts:
- Developed by Simtars 20 years ago in response to a QLD coal mine disaster inquiry.
- Displays gas concentration and gas ratios, determines explosibility probability, and triggers alarms when tolerance values are breached.
- Led to Approved Standard for the use of Gas Monitoring System embodied in current Mining Legislation.
- Connects underground gas sensors to analysers and provides rea-time alerting and reporting of gas levels in mines.
- Maintained and operated by the mines with Simtars providing implementation consulting, support and software maintenance under contract.
- Solution comprises software and hardware components and is provided by Simtars as a commercial off the shelf solution to about 35 coal mines throughout QLD, NSW and overseas.
On 27 August, Safegas V4 upgrade was successfully rolled out at Ensham mine within budget and on time. After extensive testing by the Safegas Implementation team and Ensham staff, Safegas and the team received a well-earned thumbs up from the Ensham Control Room Operator, Allan Busk.