Strategic Resources Exploration Program
We are investing $27.125 million through the 4-year Strategic Resources Exploration Program to boost exploration and support for resource development projects.
The program funding is helping to expand resource exploration and development for gas and minerals in North West Queensland.
Initiatives funded under the program include:
- $3.6 million to drive exploration for gas in the Georgina, South Nicholson and Isa Super Basins.
- $4.275 million for mineral geophysics to pinpoint the locations of potential new mineral prospects over wide areas.
- $1.45 million for mineral geochemistry programs to identify the type of potential mineral deposits (e.g. copper, lead, zinc) identified from geophysical programs using surface samples.
- $4.95 million for mineral synthesis to develop a comprehensive and integrated understanding of the geology of the North West Minerals Province
- $925,000 to support national research into advanced techniques used in the discovery of mineral deposits in frontier regions.
- $7.125 million for the Geoscience Data Modernisation Program, to modernise legacy systems and enable data driven exploration and resource development opportunities for Queensland
This program also supports the implementation of the Strategic Blueprint for Queensland's North West Minerals Province. It also includes funding for different forms of mapping so explorers can better understand what's below the ground.
As part of the program, $3.6 million is being invested to broaden the Collaborative Exploration Initiative, which builds on the past success of the Collaborative Drilling Initiative.
Investment attraction has also been prioritised, with $1.2 million allocated to undertake a program of activities to attract new investment into Queensland's exploration industry. This will be delivered by the department in collaboration with the Resources Investment Commissioner.
We will also continue to provide exploration initiatives through our Queensland exploration program, releasing exploration tenders for petroleum, gas and coal resources.
Last reviewed 28 November 2018