Petroleum and gas reporting requirements
In 2018 we released a draft revised reporting guideline, with reporting templates, for petroleum and gas resource authority holders.
The guideline and templates are being improved in consultation with industry and will be combined into a new reporting practice direction, scheduled for release on 3 August 2020.
The direction applies to reports on well and bore, survey, petroleum and hydraulic fracturing activities.
The changes to reporting requirements are driven by amendments to the petroleum and gas regulations, which are in final consultation with industry.
The final reporting practice direction (with templates) will be published online as soon as the consultation is complete.
Temporary change to submission dates
To help resource authority holders adapt to the new reporting practice direction, including use of a new lodgement portal, there will be a grace period for submission of reports until 1 July 2021.
Any reports due between 3 August 2020 and 30 June 2021 can be submitted on or before 1 July 2021 without compliance action for late submission of data.
From 3 August 2020, any reports due must follow the new practice direction, including using the new reporting templates.
GSQ Lodgement Portal
A new GSQ Lodgement Portal will provide a streamlined way for resource authority holders to lodge statutory reports and data, using the new reporting templates.
The new portal is scheduled for release on 3 August 2020 and will replace the existing QDEX Reports system.
Improving data quality
The changes to reporting requirements are designed to improve the quality of geoscience data for the long-term benefit of industry.
Key aspects include:
- provision of more granular data by industry
- removal of some provisions within existing regulation that are no longer relevant or required
- use of standardised lodgement templates
- expansion of data reporting to support government resource stewardship duties, particularly in resource, reserve and production terms.
Find out more
- Find out about the Geoscience Data Modernisation Project - changes to reporting requirements are linked to this project.
- Subscribe to the Geoscience Data Modernisation Project newsletter.
- Read about your reporting obligations and how to lodge statutory reports and notices.
- If you need help or would like to provide feedback, please email the Geological Survey of Queensland (GSQ) firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last reviewed 08 June 2020