We are strengthening our compliance framework to give Queenslanders confidence that our water resources are being managed fairly, consistently and responsibly.
We have reviewed how we approach compliance to:
- identify opportunities for improvements
- address the recommendations from the independent audit
- meet Queensland’s commitments in the Murray-Darling Basin Compliance Compact.
To ensure we have a consistent and transparent approach to compliance across the state, we:
- have updated our compliance framework, strategy and annual compliance plan
- have established 2 governance groups to oversee compliance
- are reviewing and updating our compliance policies, procedures and guidelines.
We are also developing an assurance framework that will enable us to assess and report on our performance as a non-urban water resource manager. Our first Rural Water Management Program performance review report (PDF, 1.2MB) was published in September 2019.
Projects and timelines
|Establish a formalised framework and associated governance arrangements for Queensland’s water management||Completed December 2018|
|Create the rural water management program office and team to deliver the commitments made in the Queensland Government response||Completed December 2018|
|Review the existing non-urban water measurement compliance approach and documentation to ensure consistency across policies, procedures and guidelines||2019 to 2020|
|Publish annual performance report||Commenced September 2019|
|Develop and implement an assurance framework that enables us to report on our performance as a non-urban water resource manager and regulator||Early 2021|
Last reviewed 15 June 2020