Enhanced regulatory approach
We are reviewing existing regulatory frameworks to identify any changes that might be required to support improved compliance and water measurement.
Water Act changes:
- established a new offence for taking more water, or taking water at a greater rate, than authorised by the water entitlement
- increased the penalty for failure to comply with a water compliance notice
- clarified liability for entitlement holders sharing an unsupplemented water meter
- supported additional processes for ensuring unsupplemented water meter faults are identified and repaired.
The next phase of regulatory changes are likely to focus on enhancements to water metering rules and arrangements. This will happen after the measurement policy has been finalised.
Projects and timelines
|Amend regulations to enhance faulty meter reporting and meter validation requirements||Completed February 2019|
|Review legislation and policies to identify possible enhancements to water compliance arrangements||Completed 2019|
|Develop and publish communication materials and other resources to support entitlement holders to meet requirements under the new measurement policy framework||From 2021|
- Find out more about water metering in Queensland.
- Find out more about consultation on rural water management policy proposals.
Last reviewed 15 June 2020