Rookwood Weir is on track to provide new economic and employment opportunities for the agricultural industry and the community of Central Queensland.
On this page:
- About Rookwood Weir
- Water planning process and timeline
- Business considerations
- Contact us
- More information
About Rookwood Weir
Rookwood Weir is a $352 million water infrastructure investment to drive new economic and employment opportunities for the agricultural industry and the community of Central Queensland.
The thousands of megalitres of water that Rookwood Weir will make available will underpin agricultural, industrial and urban growth in Central Queensland.
We are working alongside Sunwater to ensure that our water planning supports the water products Sunwater will be bringing to market. To find out more about the Rookwood Weir project or accessing water from Sunwater’s scheme, visit the project page, or contact the Sunwater team by emailing email@example.com or calling 1800 423 213.
Proposed location of Rookwood Weir in the Fitzroy Basin
Google map co-ordinates: Rookwood Weir 23°32'30.8"S 150°00'56.6"E
Water planning process and timeline
Rookwood Weir is a critical piece of water infrastructure for Central Queensland and we’re committed to working together with Sunwater and the community to make it a success. A key aspect of this is bringing Rookwood Weir into the region's water planning process.
In early 2020, the department held public consultation on the Statement of proposals to amend the Fitzroy Basin water plan (PDF, 1.2MB). Feedback received from this was used to develop the Fitzroy Basin draft water amendment plan (PDF, 701.9KB), which was released for further consultation in August 2020.
The final water plan is on track to be delivered in 2021, providing certainty for the community around the weir’s operation once construction is completed in 2023.
Timeline for Fitzroy Basin water planning and Rookwood Weir
|Establishment of Fitzroy Basin water plan||2011|
|Consultation on statement of proposals to amend the Fitzroy Basin water plan to include Rookwood Weir||April to June 2020|
|Rookwood Weir water market engagement by Sunwater||May 2020|
|Consultation on the Fitzroy Basin draft water amendment plan and associated documents||August to September 2020|
|Rookwood Weir design completed by Sunwater||End of 2020|
|Rookwood Weir construction starts||April 2021|
|Final water plan amendment||2021|
|Amendments made to operational instruments relating to the operation of Rookwood Weir||2022|
|Rookwood Weir commissioned and operational||2023|
Investment opportunities and the water allocation offer process are being managed by Sunwater on behalf of the Queensland Government.
For more information on the offer process, read about Sunwater’s Rookwood Weir Project water plan and sales.
If you’re considering securing water from Rookwood Weir to grow your business, you can start planning now. Before you begin, you should obtain independent professional advice relevant for your business.
Below are some starting points for you to consider:
- Find out more about approvals to clear native vegetation.
- Read about development approvals for water-related works.
- Access the one-stop service for agribusiness development tools and support.
- Understand your obligations to protect the Great Barrier Reef.
- Read Sunwater’s overview of landholder opportunities (PDF, 4.7MB) in the region.
- Read about land management.
- Understand the regulations for capturing and storing overland flow water.
- Visit the Queensland Farmers’ Federation for advice on energy efficient irrigation practices.
If you require any further information or wish to discuss the Rookwood Weir project with someone from the department, please contact us.
Phone: 1800 822 100
- Find out more about water management in the Fitzroy Basin.
- Get updates on the Rookwood Weir project, or find out about accessing water from the scheme by calling Sunwater on 1800 423 213 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated 18 February 2021