Rookwood Weir is on track to provide new economic and employment opportunities for the agricultural industry and the community of Central Queensland.
On this page:
- Consultation on the Fitzroy Basin water plan
- Consultation documents
- Talk to a water planner
- How to make a submission
- About Rookwood Weir
- Water planning process and timeline
- Business considerations
- Contact us
- More information
Consultation on the Fitzroy Basin water plan
You are invited to have your say on proposed changes to the Fitzroy Basin water plan to allow for new water allocations and trading opportunities in the Rookwood Weir region.
The Queensland Government wants to maximise the benefits of the Rookwood Weir project by bringing this new infrastructure into the region’s water planning framework.
Our statement of proposals outlines several options for how the water in Rookwood Weir could be allocated, based on best available modelling and science.
- Statement of proposals: Amendment to the Water Plan (Fitzroy Basin) 2011 for the Rookwood Weir project (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Public notice (PDF, 54.2KB)
Your input is essential to ensure the water needs of the environment and community are well supported by the region’s water plan.
Talk to a water planner
Due to COVID-19 and current social distancing requirements, consultation on the proposed changes for the Fitzroy Basin water plan will take place via phone meetings, emails and an online submission process.
To discuss the water planning process with a water planner, you can request a phone meeting.
You can either:
- complete the online form below
- phone 1800 822 100
- email FitzroyWaterPlan@dnrme.qld.gov.au.
We will then schedule in a phone meeting for you at your preferred time.
How to make a submission
You can make a written submission on the Statement of proposals by 5pm Friday 12 June 2020.
You can either:
- Complete the online survey at www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au. or
- Email your submission to FitzroyWaterPlan@dnrme.qld.gov.au. or
- Post your submission to:
Attn: Fitzroy Water Plan Coordinator
PO Box 1762
Rockhampton QLD 4700
About Rookwood Weir
Rookwood Weir is a $352 million water infrastructure investment to drive new economic and employment opportunities for the agricultural industry and the community of Central Queensland.
The thousands of megalitres of water that Rookwood Weir will make available will underpin agricultural, industrial and urban growth in Central Queensland.
We are working alongside Sunwater to ensure that our water planning supports the water products Sunwater will be bringing to market. To find out more about the Rookwood Weir project or accessing water from Sunwater’s scheme, visit the project page, or contact the Sunwater team by emailing email@example.com or calling 1800 423 213.
Proposed location of Rookwood Weir in the Fitzroy Basin
Google map co-ordinates: Rookwood Weir 23°32'30.8"S 150°00'56.6"E
Water planning process and timeline
Rookwood Weir is a critical piece of water infrastructure for Central Queensland and we’re committed to working together with the community to make it a success.
Your feedback on the statement of proposals will be used to develop the draft Fitzroy Basin water plan which will be released for further consultation later this year.
The final water plan is on track to be delivered in 2021, providing certainty for the community around the weir’s operation once construction is completed in 2023.
Timeline for Fitzroy Basin water planning and Rookwood Weir
|Establishment of Fitzroy Basin water plan||2011|
|Consultation on statement of proposals to amend the Fitzroy Basin water plan to include Rookwood Weir||April to June 2020|
|Rookwood Weir water market engagement by Sunwater||May 2020|
|Consultation on draft amendments to Fitzroy Basin water plan||Mid 2020|
|Rookwood Weir design completed by Sunwater||End of 2020|
|Rookwood Weir construction starts||April 2021|
|Final water plan amendment||2021|
|Amendments made to operational instruments relating to the operation of Rookwood Weir||2022|
|Rookwood Weir commissioned and operational||2023|
Investment opportunities and the water allocation offer process are being managed by Sunwater on behalf of the Queensland Government.
For more information on the offer process, read about Sunwater’s Rookwood Weir Project water plan and sales.
If you’re considering securing water from Rookwood Weir to grow your business, you can start planning now. Before you begin, you should obtain independent professional advice relevant for your business.
Below are some starting points for you to consider:
- Find out more about approvals to clear native vegetation.
- Read about development approvals for water-related works.
- Access agribusiness development tools and support.
- Understand your obligations to protect the Great Barrier Reef.
- Read Sunwater’s overview of landholder opportunities (PDF, 4.7MB) in the region.
- Read about land management.
- Visit the Queensland Farmers’ Federation for advice on energy efficient irrigation practices.
If you need help accessing any of these documents, or would like details sent to you by mail, please contact us.
Phone: 1800 822 100
- Find out more about water management in the Fitzroy Basin.
- Get updates on the Rookwood Weir project, or find out about accessing water from the scheme by calling Sunwater on 1800 423 213 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated 27 May 2020