Review of accepted development vegetation clearing codes
Some low-risk clearing activities can be undertaken using an accepted development vegetation clearing code. The codes apply to particular vegetation categories and regional ecosystems.
We are currently conducting reviews of the codes to ensure they achieve the objectives of the Vegetation Management Act 1999.
We have commissioned independent technical reviews of the codes, based on best practice and the latest science.
You can find details of our progress below or contact us for property-specific advice and codes.
We are currently seeking feedback on the revised draft code for managing regulated regrowth vegetation.
The Queensland Herbarium’s scientific advice has been incorporated into this code to address issues raised by the Cardno independent technical review. The Queensland Herbarium’s advice has also been reviewed by the CSIRO.
To have your say, please review the draft code for managing regulated regrowth vegetation and complete our survey. Submissions close at 5pm on Monday 6 May 2019.
Independent reports and further information:
- Accepted development vegetation clearing code – Managing regulated regrowth vegetation
- Summary of changes to codes for managing regulated regrowth vegetation
- Queensland Herbarium – Science supporting revision of codes for managing regulated regrowth vegetation
- CSIRO review of the Queensland Herbarium advice
- Queensland Government’s response to the CSIRO review
- Cardno independent review of clearing codes
Submissions for the following codes closed on 18 December 2018:
- Improving agricultural efficiency
- Extractive industry
Submissions for the following codes closed on 19 October 2018:
- Necessary environmental clearing
- Managing encroachment
- Managing weeds.
We are currently considering the feedback received. You can download the consultation drafts for the codes and associated reports from our library catalogue.
Codes for managing thickened vegetation and for fodder harvesting
These reviews have concluded. As a result:
- a new code for fodder harvesting came into effect from 8 March 2018
- the codes for managing thickened vegetation have been removed and this activity will continue to be assessed under the Planning Act 2016.
We will be seeking feedback on the draft Native forest practice code, once the review has been completed.
- View the existing accepted development vegetation clearing codes.
- Download a copy of the Vegetation Management Act 1999.
- Download a copy of the State Policy for Vegetation Management (PDF).
- Learn more about the new vegetation management laws.
- Read about development approvals for clearing native vegetation.
Last reviewed 19 December 2018