Review of accepted development vegetation clearing codes
Some low-risk clearing activities can be undertaken using an accepted development vegetation clearing code. The codes apply to particular vegetation categories and regional ecosystems.
We are currently conducting reviews of the codes to ensure they achieve the objectives of the Vegetation Management Act 1999.
We have commissioned independent technical reviews of the codes, based on best practice and the latest science.
You can find details of our progress below or contact us for property-specific advice and codes.
We are currently seeking feedback on the following revised draft codes. Submissions close at 5pm, 19 October 2018.
|Managing weeds (consultation draft) (PDF, 226.1KB)||Get involved|
We have incorporated the Queensland Herbarium’s scientific advice into these codes to address issues raised by the Cardno independent technical review. CSIRO has also reviewed the Queensland Herbarium’s advice.
Independent reports and changes to codes
- Summary of changes to code for managing weeds (PDF, 211.3KB)
- Summary of changes to code for managing encroachment (PDF, 185.2KB)
- Summary of changes to code for necessary environmental clearing (PDF, 235.7KB)
- Queensland Herbarium - Science supporting revision of codes for managing weeds, managing encroachment and necessary environmental clearing (PDF, 820.8KB)
- CSIRO review of the Queensland Herbarium advice (PDF, 202.4KB)
- Queensland Government’s response to the CSIRO review (PDF, 251.0KB)
- Cardno independent review of clearing codes (PDF, 1.6MB)
Codes for managing thickened vegetation and for fodder harvesting
These reviews have concluded. As a result:
- a new code for fodder harvesting came into effect from 8 March 2018
- the codes for managing thickened vegetation have been removed and this activity will continue to be assessed under the Planning Act 2016.
Code for managing Category C regrowth
An interim code for managing Category C regrowth came into effect on 8 March 2018 to give better protection to high-value regrowth vegetation.
We will be seeking feedback on the following draft codes as they are developed:
- Managing Category R regrowth vegetation
- Necessary environmental clearing (consultation draft)
- Property infrastructure
- Managing encroachment (consultation draft)
- Managing weeds (consultation draft)
- Extractive industry
- Native forest practice
- Improving operational efficiency of existing agriculture
- View the existing accepted development vegetation clearing codes.
- Download a copy of the Vegetation Management Act 1999.
- Download a copy of the State Policy for Vegetation Management (PDF).
- Learn more about the new vegetation management laws.
- Read about development approvals for clearing native vegetation.
Last updated 24 September 2018