Queensland Murray-Darling Basin: Consultation on limitations for groundwater during 2020-21
There are currently limitations on the amount of water that can be taken from the alluvial and basalt groundwater aquifers across the Darling Downs and Southern Downs. These limitations are due to expire on 30 June 2020.
Despite rainfall early in 2020, many groundwater systems are still under stress due to a lack of sufficient aquifer recharge.
Our assessment of the aquifers has determined that limitations on the take of water will again be required for the 2020-21 water year, starting from 1 July 2020.
Restrictions may take the form of either:
- metered bores: a reduced percentage of the nominal entitlement on a water licence
- unmetered bores: restrictions on pumping times.
The level of limitation announced will depend on a range of considerations, including:
- aquifer storage
- rate of water level decline
- potential recharge
- number and location of active users for each particular resource unit.
The limitations will be published on our website before 1 July 2020.
Consultation and feedback
We welcome your feedback on how to sustainably manage our groundwater resources while supporting the important activities of water users.
Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 social distancing requirements, we are unable to consult face-to-face on the proposed limitations.
Instead, please view the following presentations, which explain the groundwater status in each of the different aquifers. You can then use the feedback form below to submit your comments.
- Toowoomba South Basalts (Zone 1 and 2) (PDF, 2.5MB)
- Toowoomba North Basalts (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Kings Creek Basalts (including the Nobby Basalts) (PDF, 2.0MB)
- Warwick Basalts (PDF, 1022.7KB)
- Kings Creek Alluvium (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Glengallan/Millarvale/Gap Creek Alluviums (PDF, 2.1MB)
- Freestone/Campbells Creek Alluviums (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Rosenthal/Rogers/Greymare/Thanes/Canal Creek Alluviums (PDF, 896.6KB)
- Swan, Emu, Farm Creek Alluviums (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Condamine River Alluvium (Killarney to Warwick) (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Myall, Cains, Middle, Spring, Cattle Creek Alluviums (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Moola and North Myall Creek Alluviums (PDF, 1.5MB)
How to submit your feedback
Please complete the feedback form by 29 May 2020.
If you’d like to discuss the proposed groundwater limitations or want a print copy of the consultation material, please call (07) 4529 1394 or email WaterServices.Toowoomba@dnrme.qld.gov.au or WaterServices.Warwick@dnrme.qld.gov.au.
- Find out more about water management in the Condamine and Balonne water plan area.
Last updated 13 May 2020