Fitzroy Basin draft water amendment plan consultation
We are seeking your submissions about the Fitzroy Basin draft water amendment plan and associated documents.
We want to maximise the benefits of the Rookwood Weir project by bringing this new infrastructure into the region’s water planning framework.
You are invited to have your say on the Fitzroy Basin draft water amendment plan to allow for new water allocations and business opportunities in the Rookwood Weir region.
Your input is essential to ensure the water associated with Rookwood Weir supports local agriculture and urban needs into the future.
Aim of the draft amendment plan
The key aim of the draft amendment plan is to include new provisions that:
- allow for the construction of Rookwood Weir
- ensure at least 50% of water sold to the market from Rookwood Weir is allocated for agricultural purposes
- support rules and requirements regarding water trading, water sharing, environmental management and monitoring
- promote economic development, employment opportunities and water security in the region
- aid the economic recovery of regional Queensland in the wake of COVID-19.
Draft water management protocol
You are also invited to have your say on draft changes to the water management protocol which apply to other parts of the Fitzroy Basin.
The draft water management protocol:
- includes changes to the process for releasing water from the strategic water infrastructure reserve
- amends operational rules for water management areas in the Fitzroy Basin.
These changes are in response to ongoing feedback received from local irrigators on proposed management arrangements.
- Statement of intent (PDF, 4.2MB)
- Public notice (PDF, 416.8KB)
- Draft water amendment plan (PDF, 701.9KB)
- Draft water management protocol amendment (PDF, 1.2MB)
How to make a submission
You can provide your feedback by making a written submission by 5pm on 29 September 2020.
You can either:
- Complete the Get involved online survey.
- Complete the submission form (PDF, 583.2KB) and return it by email or by post using the information shown on the form.
If you have problems downloading any of these documents, or would like a copy sent by mail, please contact us.
- Phone: Request a phone meeting or call (07) 4999 6847.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more about water management in the Fitzroy Basin.
Last updated 19 August 2020