Burdekin Basin: Targeted amendment of the water plan
The public submissions on the draft amendment to the water plan closed on 15 June 2018. We are now assessing public feedback received during consultation and issues raised in submissions. This will inform the finalisation of the amendment plan later this year.
- Public notice of intention to amend the water plan (PDF, 391.3KB)
- View the current Burdekin Basin water plan
The following documents have been released for consultation. A brief explanation of the proposed changes is provided at the bottom of this page - read the Statement of intent (PDF, 685.2KB) for a more detailed explanation.
- Water Amendment (Burdekin Basin) Plan (draft) (PDF, 2.1MB)
- Water entitlement notice (draft) (PDF, 905.6KB)
- Water management protocol (draft) (PDF, 961.4KB)
Summary of proposed changes
The following is a summary of the proposed changes. For details, download the consultation documents and read the Statement of intent (PDF, 685.2KB).
The draft water amendment plan (PDF, 2.1MB) contains strategies for:
- converting water licences to water allocations in priority areas
- establishing a water trading framework for newly created water allocations to enable water to move to its highest value use in the Upper Burdekin and Cape Campaspe subcatchments
- establishing a water trading framework for water licences in the Belyando Suttor subcatchment to enable simple within-zone trading to provide for emerging water demands
- establishing water allocation security objectives for newly created water allocations to enable water users to better understand the security of their entitlements
- amending water licences to simplify access conditions, remove redundant conditions and place volumetric limits on entitlements that are currently defined by an area that may be irrigated.
The draft water entitlement notice (PDF, 905.6KB) will implement the strategies of the draft water amendment plan with regard to converting and changing entitlements and will:
- convert 146 existing water licences to water allocations in priority areas
- amend 73 water licences to remove or amend conditions, and other minor corrections
- replace 12 existing water licences with 4 new water licences to simplify access conditions and reduce unnecessary administrative costs for water users
- grant 3 new water licences to deal with existing take of water which predates the Water Plan (Burdekin Basin) 2007 for which licences were not issued.
The draft water management protocol (PDF, 961.4KB) will implement the strategies of the draft water amendment plan by specifying rules that ensure water allocation security objectives and environmental flow objectives are achieved, while also providing a flexible trading framework. The amendment will include rules that:
- specify permitted, prohibited and assessed water allocation changes for water allocations in the Upper Burdekin and Cape-Campaspe water management areas
- specify assessed water licence changes to allow seasonal water assignments and relocations of water licences in the Belyando-Suttor water management area
- amend the maximum allowable volume for zone Burdekin E (the ponded area of Burdekin Falls Dam) to facilitate future water use requirements.
If you have problems downloading any of these documents, or would like a copy sent by mail, please contact us:
Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy
445 Flinders Street
PO Box 5318
Townsville Qld 4810
Phone: 1800 697 805
Email: Burdekin WP coordinator
Find out more about water management in the Burdekin Basin and access current water planning documents.
Last reviewed 28 November 2018