Bulk water security strategy
Queensland bulk water opportunities statement
The Queensland bulk water opportunities statement (QBWOS) is the bulk water security strategy for Queensland. It provides a framework for us to support and contribute to sustainable regional economic development through:
- better use of existing bulk water infrastructure
- planning and investing in new infrastructure when we need it.
The statement was first published in July 2017 and updated in December 2018.
Content of the statement
The statement provides details about:
- bulk water supply objectives and investment principles
- current policy and planning environment and the drivers of bulk water use
- existing bulk water arrangements
- key infrastructure initiatives and opportunities
- addressing unique risks and uncertainty
- key policy initiatives and opportunities.
The 2018 edition of QBWOS adds to this with new information on:
- the progress of initiatives to support better utilisation of existing infrastructure and better planning of new infrastructure
- the assessment of under-utilised water for all Queensland water supply schemes
- progress of water supply proposals that are undergoing assessment
- the government’s key messages or position on the assessments already finalised.
A key focus of the statement is the reduction of barriers to using available water within existing bulk water supply infrastructure. Mapping resources, including the story map and Queensland Globe, provide supporting information.
QBWOS story map
The QBWOS story map provides:
- a visual (i.e. spatial and graphical) representation of existing bulk water supply infrastructure across Queensland
- details of water entitlements and availability
- climate related data
- details of bulk water infrastructure projects currently and recently under investigation.
The story map will be updated to align with the revised QBWOS in early 2019.
The bulk water infrastructure layer in Queensland Globe provides a detailed graphical display of key information for Queensland bulk water supply infrastructure integrated with other Queensland Globe layers.
This resource is expected to be updated to align with the revised QBWOS in early 2019.
The statement will be reviewed and updated annually to incorporate new information and the results of stakeholder and community feedback.
The review process provides an opportunity to be responsive to changing community and industry priorities, as well as providing information to the community about the progress of proposed initiatives and investments under consideration.
For more information, or to have your say, email QBWOS@dnrme.qld.gov.au.
Last reviewed 25 January 2019