Review of Queensland energy consumer protections and support
We are reviewing the application of the National Energy Retail Law, which commenced in Queensland on 1 July 2015.
The National Energy Retail Law (NERL) regulates the sale and supply of energy (electricity and natural gas) to consumers, and supports energy customers through a range of consumer protections.
The NERL is applied in Queensland under the National Energy Retail Law (Queensland) Act 2014.
Purpose of the consultation
We are reviewing the application of these laws to assess whether they are:
- increasing efficiency
- improving consumer protection
- delivering a net benefit to Queensland.
The review will also consider:
- options for future retail market reforms
- ways to maximise the effectiveness of the NERL and improve customer outcomes.
Consultation has closed on a discussion paper (PDF, 998.1KB), which outlined the key customer protections under the NERL and our proposed approach to assessing the operation of the NERL in Queensland. Submissions received during this consultation will be considered in the development of a final report as part of the NERL review.
Submissions to the discussion paper are listed below. The opinions expressed in the submissions are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Queensland Government.
Note: The following files may not be fully accessible by assistive readers. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to access these in a different format.
- AGL Energy (PDF, 141.9KB)
- Alinta Energy (PDF, 304.8KB)
- Australian Energy Council (PDF, 351.9KB)
- Australian Energy Regulator (PDF, 807.5KB)
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland (PDF, 269.7KB)
- Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland (PDF, 439.2KB)
- Energy Australia (PDF, 483.9KB)
- Energy Queensland (PDF, 329.7KB)
- Origin Energy (PDF, 364.2KB)
- Powershop (PDF, 204.8KB)
- Queensland Consumers Association (PDF, 577.1KB)
- Queensland Council of Social Service (PDF, 785.2KB)
- Queensland Farmers Federation (PDF, 334.1KB)
- Queensland Law Society (PDF, 308.1KB)
- Simply Energy (PDF, 94.9KB)
What happens next?
We are finalising the final report on the NERL review, with the findings to be tabled in the Queensland Parliament in the first half of 2020.
For more information, email Energy.Reform@dnrme.qld.gov.au.
Last reviewed 25 January 2019