Dangers of not following gas appliance manufacturer's instructions under bench gas oven installationPetroleum and gas safety alert no. 96 | 10 July 2020 | Version 1
A diligent gas work license (GWL) holder issued a Gas System Defect Notice for an incorrectly installed under bench gas oven.
How did it happen?
A dangerous situation occurred where the gas oven had not been installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions. The cabinetry under the oven was not provided with the required ventilation cut-outs. The resulting consequence was severe scorching of the cabinetry which could have led to a catastrophic house fire.
Due to the severity of the visual damage the inspectorate were also notified.
- Gas ovens and all type A gas appliances are required to be installed in compliance to the current Australian standards and in accordance with manufacturer’s installation instructions.
- Each gas oven manufacturer will provide, in their installation instructions, ventilation requirements to be met around the appliance to ensure there is no overheating which may result in a fire.
- It is a safety requirement for a GWL holder to ensure all provisions of the relevant standard and installation instructions are met during the course of installation.
Penalties for failing to meet these requirements apply.
GWL holders should ensure:
- they obtain and read the installation instructions for any gas appliance they install;
- the requirements of both the manufacturer’s installation instructions and the requirements of AS/NZS 5601 are met when installing gas appliances; and
- when servicing, repairing or inspecting a gas appliance; the appliance is installed in line with AS/NZS 5601 and the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
References and further information
- AS/NZS5601.1.2013 Gas installations Part 1: General installations
- Clause 6.2.2 Manufacturer’s installation instructions
- AS/NZS5601.2.2013 Gas installations Part 2: LP Gas installations in caravans and boats for non-propulsive purposes
- Clause 6.4 MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS
The Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004
The Petroleum and Gas (Safety) Regulation 2018
Work Health and Safety Act 2011
Current Queensland legislation at: https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/browse/inforce
Contact the inspectorate:
Phone: 07 54596189
Authorised by Bill Date - Chief Inspector
Contact: Paul Beaumont, Principal Inspector- Gas Work, +61 7 5459 6189 email@example.com
Issued by the Queensland Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy