Graders - Braking systemsMines safety alert no. Newsflash | 22 February 2019 | Version 1
The mines inspectorate has been made aware that, current testing methods for Underground Graders may not conclusively identify that all brake system components are operating correctly.
It is recommended that SSEs:
- Implement a test plan to ensure that all braking system components on Underground Graders are functioning as intended.
- OEMs should be consulted to ensure that correct test procedures are used for the aforementioned tests.
NB: Braking system includes: Service Brake, Park Brake and Emergency brake.
- Review risk assessments and controls associated with the use of Underground Vehicles, particularly those operating on inclines.
- Coal Mine Workers should be refreshed on vehicle parking procedures.
References and further information
Safety Newsflashes Purpose
- Draw attention to the occurrence of a serious incident(s) in the mining industry
- Increase Risk awareness
- Promote mines to examine and check that their controls are adequate
The investigations are ongoing and further information may be published as it becomes available. The information contained in this publication is based on knowledge and understanding at the time of writing
Authorised by Peter Newman - Chief Inspectorof Coal Mines
Contact: , 0731998001 firstname.lastname@example.org
Issued by Resources Safety & Health Queensland