Continuous Miner Mounted Rib Protection SystemsMines safety alert no. 377 | 27 August 2020 | Version 1
All mines should:
- Review the adequacy of risk assessments and controls for the operation and maintenance of rib protection systems in use on continuous miners (refer to Figure 2 below).
- Ensure that the rib protection system is effective in preventing harmful rib spall entering the bolting platform area.
- Confirm that the regular inspections are in place to confirm the adequacy of protection systems.
Safety Alert Purpose
- Draw attention to the occurrence of a serious incident in the mining industry
- Increase risk awareness
- Promote mines to examine and check that their controls are adequate
The investigations are ongoing and further information may be published as it becomes available.
The information contained in this publication is based on knowledge and understanding at the time of writing.
Authorised by Peter Newman - Chief Inspector of Coal Mines
Contact: Michael Scully, Inspector of Mines, 0459 878 917 Michael.Scully@rshq.qld.gov.au
Issued by Resources Safety & Health Queensland